Charlie Rose Responds to Allegations of Pervasive Sexual Harassment
The long and heretofore illustrious career of Charlie Rose may be over.
The veteran journalist has been suspended by PBS and CBS amidst accusations of sexual harassment and misconduct.
The accusations have been made by eight different women.
In a bombshell report published on Monday by The Washington Post, these alleged victims shared eerily similar stories about how the reporter would act in horribly inappropriate ways toward them.
There are accusations that Rose would place sexually explicit phone calls… expose his genitalia… and grope the women without their permission.
Three of the women spoke on the record, while five spoke on the condition of anonymity.
But all expressed stories that detailed how Rose would either walk out of a shower, naked, in their presence; and/or would grope their buttocks at company parties; and/or place his hand on their upper thigh, awaiting a reaction.
Said Reah Bravo, who worked as an intern and then associate producer for Rose’s PBS show beginning in 2007:
“It has taken 10 years and a fierce moment of cultural reckoning for me to understand these moments for what they were.
“He was a sexual predator, and I was his victim.”
The women were employees or aspired to work for Rose at The Charlie Rose Show from the late 1990s to as recently as 2011.
They ranged in age from 21 to 37 at the time of the reported encounters.
Rose is 75 years old and his one-on-one interview program airs on PBS and Bloomberg TV.
He also co-hosts CBS This Morning and is a contributing correspondent for 60 Minutes.
“In my 45 years in journalism, I have prided myself on being an advocate for the careers of the women with whom I have worked,” Rose said in a statement to the Washington Post, adding:
“Nevertheless, in the past few days, claims have been made about my behavior toward some former female colleagues.”
He continued as follows:
It is essential that these women know I hear them and that I deeply apologize for my inappropriate behavior.
I am greatly embarrassed. I have behaved insensitively at times, and I accept responsibility for that, though I do not believe that all of these allegations are accurate.
I always felt that I was pursuing shared feelings, even though I now realize I was mistaken.
I have learned a great deal as a result of these events, and I hope others will too.
All of us, including me, are coming to a newer and deeper recognition of the pain caused by conduct in the past, and have come to a profound new respect for women and their lives.
Shortly after news of Rose’s allegations broke, PBS announced it is stopping production on the anchor’s self-titled program.
Meanwhile, CBS News has also suspended him from his regular duties.
Rose is the latest major name to be accused of sexual harassment or misconduct.
Several weeks ago, allegations of assault were leveled by countless women against movie producer Harvey Weinstein.
Since then, women around the country have been empowered to speak up, with stories popping up nearly everyday about allegedly heinous acts committed by such stars as Kevin Spacey, Louis C.K. and Jeffrey Tambor.
We salute these victims for coming forward.