Polar bear Facts
Polar bear males frequently play-fight. During the mating season, actual fighting is intense and often leaves scars or broken teeth. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
- Polar bears use sea ice as a platform to hunt seals.
- Polar bears mainly hunt seals.
- Adult males can grow to be 10 feet tall and weigh over 1400 pounds.
- Polar bears tend to overheat more than to be cold.
- A polar bear’s fur is not white,It is hollow. The fur reflects light.The hollow fur also traps the suns heat to help keep the polar bear warm.
- Polar bears spend most of their time at sea.
- A polar bear is so strong, that it can kill an animal with one blow from it’s paw
- Polar bears have 42 teeth.
- Polar bears are classified as ‘vulnerable’
- Seals make up most of a polar bears diet
- Polar bears clean themselves by rolling in snow.
- Polar bears fur is oily and water repellant which allowes them to shake dry after swimming.
- Man made pollution is a cause of death for polar bears.
- When curled up, a polar bear may cover its muzzle (nose) with a paw to help conserve heat.
- Humans are polar bears only predator.
- Scientists estimate that there are around 20000 polar bears.
- Female polar bears usually only weigh about half as much as males.
- Male polar bears can weigh up to 680 kg (1500 lb).
The post 18 Interesting facts about polar bears appeared first on Amazing and Weird.
Amazing and Weird